SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fraser 50 pilothouse help
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter
Brandon Davis

Re: Fraser 50 pilothouse help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Fraser's were very well moulded by the De Kleer brothers and they were pretty good performers in their day. One of the brothers won the Vic/Maui race in his personal 41 - a very similar design to the 51. Lots of them - the 30', the Endurance 35 and the 41/42 (same hull, different decks) have been cruised worldwide - I've seen them for sale all over the world.

AFAIK they didn't do any finish work (other than their personal boats) but many were professionally finished from the bare mouldings.

That said, Jeff is right - the finish quality is all over the map on Fraser hulls so each one has to be taken on its own merits. That one looks like the initial build was fairly skilled amateur to my eye but it also looks like water has been over the floorboards - look at the waterline beside the transmission and the wet sole in the aft cabin.

Anyone who needs advice about taking on a project like that 51 would be well advised to not even consider it - it is almost certain to become another unfinished estate sale some years from now.
Not here for advice at this point, so much as I was for information about the Frasers since I couldnt find anything online about them. The act of refit and rebuild would not be something difficult for me with the background I have. I'm not trying to start off with something that will never be salvageable though. I don't really like the idea of a owner finished one off boat, because like Jeff said, who knows what corners were cut or simply mistakes were made. I was hopeful for that boat, but I will not be following through. If it were less likely to be an amateur build I might consider looking deeper.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome