SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the boat yard screwing you? stories
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 09-08-2018
GeorgeB

Re: Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

Judy -
Thanks for the look-up. I usually don't go into the owner's profiles as most don't seem to post any useful information. I think the owner needs to post this question on an owner association website. I know that a lot of boat builders back in the 60's and 70's weren't building to the same common practices of today (I race on a Cal 40 and that is an eye-opener) and I wouldn't be surprised that fiberglass strut was period to the boat's construction. It would cost a "modern" boat yard a lot more in labor to fabricate and align a fiberglass strut than to simply bolt on a new bronze one. Anyway, a simple way to check on this is to look at the strut location from the inside of the boat. If there is resin oozing up from old bolt holes or similar repair evidence, then the boat originally had a metal strut. If not, I'd keep it as is if it isn't fractured. The owner might be needlessly opening a whole new can of worms, if the strut doesn't need replacing. Besides, right now, he has one fewer zinc to worry about.

-George

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome