SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cannabis use on board
View Single Post
post #396 of Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: Cannabis use on board

OBís view hits close to mine on this. Freedom means the right to do stupid things. But with rights should come responsibilities, which is something too many of us seem to have forgotten. In the case of doing stupid things, it should come with the responsibility of accepting the consequences of our choices.

The use of mood altering drugs has always been part of human cultures. And indeed, is not unique to the human animal; other animals exhibit similar behaviour. Criminalizing an intrinsic behaviour has never met with success.

The whole tax-dependancy thing is interesting. Itís very true some governments can become the real addicts in this regard. So-called sin taxes (alcohol, tobacco, gambling, now cannabis) are significant in some jurisdictions, and do seem to be growing. I think these things should be kept in check, but I also think it is hard to see how this can ever be a worse problem than funnelling the money through the black market.

Sin taxes have also been used to change consumer behaviour around certain products. All the tobacco education never did as much to change consumer behaviour compared to simply raising the taxes (cost) of cigarets. Same for fuel costs and the sales of fuel efficient vehicles. Of course, itís a fine line; raise it too high and the black market comes back.

Legalizing cannabis in Canada is fundamentally a harm-reduction move. It will divert revenue from the bad hombres. It will reduce the huge societal costs currently spent to manage the problems created by making drug use illegal. And it will bring greater safety to cannabis users who can now have greater assurances about what theyíre actually ingesting.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome