SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cannabis use on board
View Single Post
post #397 of Old 09-10-2018
caberg

Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I know you're focused on the general good, but think about it. We become reliant upon the revenue from the consumption of alcohol and marijuana to fund our government. IOW, if consumption declines, government and society suffer. Insidious.
You make an interesting and noteworthy point but it's not really as bad as it sounds. Current alcohol and cigarette taxes are a very minuscule part (less than 1 percent) of overall tax revenues. I think cannabis taxes are expected to yield less than those two. And I'd imagine that alcohol and cannabis consumption will be relatively stable over time with up and down trends that move slowly. Think about how cigarette use has declined drastically over the past few decades and it hasn't led to any catastrophic tax revenue losses. Actually, I think that governments have just hiked taxes on cigarettes significantly which has further deterred use, and effectively taxes people who still smoke more, and who tend to be lower income anyway, but that's a whole nother topic.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome