SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis bans composting toilets for cruisers on hook?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter
colemj

Annapolis bans composting toilets for cruisers on hook?

I'm not a member of SSCA, so don't have access to the information linked here. I got this off another site. Anyone have more information?

The following report courtesy of [email protected]

Subject: Annapolis Harbor Disallows Composting Head Use for Long Term Stays
Posted by: Kathy Barth on 9/8/2018 at 10:30 AM
View/reply online Reply via email to: [email protected] Reply via email to: Kathy Barth ([email protected])
I spent an hour or so with Beth Bellas, Annapolis Harbormaster, Thursday. Lots of good information which I'll write up for a longer article, but here's the official statement.

Boats with composting heads are welcome in City Waters. They may transit through, stay at private or public docks for as long as they like People with composting heads may not stay in City waters ON ANCHOR OR ON A MOORING longer than one (1) week. Composting heads are not designed for uninterrupted use, and when users dispose of the solids in our public trash cans, this creates a public health concern. Users are also tempted to dump urine overboard, in violation of state and local laws and ordinances.

IMHO, as long as we have a specified policy, our Clean Wake obligation is to follow the local policy. I looked into the manufacturers specs a bit and I did see a reference that they were not recommended for uninterrupted use as there isn't sufficient time (typically) for solid waste to compost in that scenario. I have found none of them to be Coast Guard approved so far, so we will want to keep an eye on the use of these in other waters as time goes by.

The message is that Annapolis has been wrestling with all of the challenges that a municipal facility runs into with City Councils and funding. They are and have been trying to take care of boaters and their home waters by enforcing regulations already on the books. Lots of derelict vessels are gone.. Sunken mooring balls have been marked, but legally they cant do anything with private moorings in their jurisdiction. They are making an effort to welcome us and communicate with us when something changes. Good work is underway.

Kathy Barth
Five & Dime

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome