SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spade rudders vs blue water passage making
View Single Post
post #32 of Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter
deniseO30
One of None

Re: Spade rudders vs blue water passage making

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
I hate to bring an old thread back to life but would like to add something and also ask something.

My old boat, a Hunter 376 made in 1996 had a very low aspect rudder with a fat 6" composite post that insured it never stalled, however it was very unbalanced causing the boat to be hard to handle going fast and healed 20 degrees. I added 2" inches to the leading edge and everything changed. It was an awesome sailing boat with a perfectly balanced rudder. I could be healed over 20 degrees with 8 degrees of weather helm going 8 knots in the water and I could steer with 1 finger. I could let go of the wheel and it would stay put at 8 degrees of weather helm. The autopilot amp use dropped from 3-4 amps to 1-2 amps. I love spade rudders for having this ability to be balanced and I sailed mine for over 30,000 miles without any problems, including a 4,000 mile leg.

Now I am buying a large 55' Whitby with a long keel and a skeg hung rudder with 3 attachment points. I looked at Autopilots for sale that are recommended for the 54,000 lb boat and they burn about 7.5 amps. I'm like, darn, wish I could balance this rudder. But if I read this right, somebody on this thread took their skeg off and put on a balanced spade rudder. That has me going hmmmmmm. Should I consider such a thing?

On the other hand, I have read that the skeg rudder will track better. Is that true for quartering seas of say steep 10'?
Why are you buying a Whitby 55 that you obviously want to " fix" if you were so in love with a H376?

All because of a matter of 2 or 3 amp draw on the autopilot....

It's like comparing a ballerina to a sumo wrestler

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-11-2018 at 09:49 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome