SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter
hnash53

Re: Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Hnash - DO NOT LOOSEN THE RETAINING NUT WHILE THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER! Your problem is the bond line between the thru hull's outer flange and the outside of the hull has been broken. I can see how this problem originated. The original repairer did a nice job making flat backing plates so the retaining nut have a flat surface to mate. The problem lies with the elbows screwed directly to the stand pipe. When torquing the elbow to align with the hose there must of been some movement of the thru hull itself, breaking the caulk bond. The elasticity of the caulk have been preventing (or slowing down) the leak so far. The proper repair is to haul the boat, remove, recaulk, and reinstall the thru hull. The AYBC way is to use a right angle seacock that can be closed off in this application instead of a threaded elbow.
I was afraid of this... shyte. Hmm.... Take a look at the last pic I uploaded... it shows one of the thru-hulls being well below the waterline.

It was a ***** getting this boat in the water and sticking the mast on it. It's only been in the water less than two weeks. Again... shyte.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome