SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spade rudders vs blue water passage making
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 09-11-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Spade rudders vs blue water passage making

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Perhaps you have never heard of the term Power Reaching.
Actually, I haven't, so I went online and lo and behold every nautical or sailing glossary I found, including Wiki, apparently hadn't either.
If however, you are talking about overdriving a boat on a reach, dragging a big barn door to leeward, once again I might suggest you'd get just as much speed (perhaps more) and put your boat through a whole lot less stress if you could to learn to trim the helm out of the boat.
But of course, you obviously don't think so, therefore I'm just as obviously wasting my time responding to your reply.
If one day you get the opportunity to sail a hundred plus foot gaff schooner on a broad reach in a good breeze you could bring up the term 'power reach', but let me assure you it would just be an understatement!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome