SailNet Community - View Single Post - teak decks - how much work are they really?
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 09-14-2018
kd3pc

Re: teak decks - how much work are they really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do you use regular boat soap on it like you would on the gelcoat/fiberglass portions of the boat? I've used West Marine's Teak Brightener on my teak cap rails, which seemed to do a good job. However, I really only use that stuff as prep before sanding and applying Cetol, and seems like it would be impractical to use it to clean a large area like the decks.
I actually start at the weak end of the soaps, and then move up to the next one if the first did not work as needed. I stay away from brighteners as that brings a whole new world of compatibility to the whole cleaning process.

HR Is not a boat I would "try" things on, as the decks can be made worse, using the wrong products.

Cap rails. hand rails and so on are a different beast, and I use old fashioned varnishes and every now and then urathanes, if the client wants it. Teak rails are a breeze and can be repaired in many ways that decks can not....the seam sealers are also subject to what ever you use on the teak decks and they need their own cleaning and care.

Worse thing you can do is treat a whole deck and it dries to fast or slow and your brightener is not neutralized or rinsed well.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome