SailNet Community - View Single Post - teak decks - how much work are they really?
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 09-15-2018
Minnewaska

Re: teak decks - how much work are they really?

All teak decks are not the same either. I believe that HR uses thick individual boards, which is the best way to go. If properly cared for, these decks can last 30 years, maybe more. Even when tired, the caulking can be reefed out and reapplied. The boards are thick enough to be surface sanded back to essentially new condition. This isnít cheap, but itís a small fraction of a new deck and much more accessible to DYI.

On the other hand, there are what I call teak paneling jobs (which my boat has). They are custom made sheets of thinner teak boards that are tongue and grove fit together, before they are laid on the deck. This is not to be confused with Teak Deck Systems, who will create an individual board pattern for your boat, already laid out on a backer, so it can be laid down in large sections. The version the Beneteau Group used/uses is less expensive and has little thickness for sanding. If I get around to replacing my deck, I will do it correctly and it will last the remainder of my sailing days.

Finally, if youíve ever been aboard an Amel, you might be surprised at the quality of totally fake teak. Itís enginnered into the side decks. Looks a bit plastic up close, but damn good from 10 feet away. Pretty sure itís nearly indestructible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome