SailNet Community - View Single Post - Top down spinnaker furlers
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 09-15-2018
overbored

Re: Top down spinnaker furlers

they both seem to be having the problem of back wrap. In the first video they could not even get it to start to unfurl , second video they got the twist in the middle and that is just a mess to straighten out. almost can't do it on the boat. to prevent this we would unfurl at the dock and refurl with great car so the next unfurl would go right. This is the most if not the only real problem with the top down furl. never happens to a Code zero because they are bottom up furl. I had a center furl spinnaker and it did not have the problem but was harder to get a tight furl. with center furl you are winding the sail from the center and so only have half the length of the torque rope that is doing the winding up so not as much wind up in the rope as a full length top down furl. the fuller the cut of the sail the harder the sail is to top down furl. Our A2 .75 oz cloth is the worst the A5 1.5oz cloth never a problem. the lighter the fabric the more you will have problems. the greater the windspeed the more torque it takes to get the furl to start to furl so the more wind up of the torque and then the more back wrap you can get. so far with the Harken the most wind up i have seen is about half a turn. with some of the others I have tested there can be several turns before the sail starts to furling if you have a tight furl that you think is a good furl when those several turns are allowed to un twist they get the sail all twisted inside it self and it will not unfurl just a seen in the video.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome