SailNet Community - View Single Post - Top down spinnaker furlers
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 09-16-2018
GeorgeB

Re: Top down spinnaker furlers

I have been very pleased with the Selden bowsprit and GX furler I installed on my Catalina 34. I was initially nervous about splicing the torque line but the instructions were through and clear and I ultimately had no problems. I took the opportunity of adding the swivel tack line which allows for easy adjustment (from the cockpit). I added a short pendant spliced to the clew so I can roll up the sail and leave the sheets rigged to the boat when I store the sail. This eliminates a lot of rigging time so I set up the kite when I want to and not at the dock before I set sail. I can easily single hand this set up. I do “furl gybes” and if I have one small complaint, it takes a lot line to furl/unfurl my North G-2 which means I need to plan my gybes a little early when sailing downwind in the Oakland Estuary. The key is to have tension on the halyard so the torque line stays taught. My sock has since migrated over to my symmetric which has converted that sail to a double/triple handed sail.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome