SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Anchor for Weeds
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter
pdqaltair

Re: Best Anchor for Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Most of the trials are carried by the anchor manufacturers. In Turkey nearly all Gulettes use admiralty because they generally anchor on weed ground. I know a lot of cases where admiralty was holding while modern anchors were dragging in the same weed area.
Of course. Anchors hold better in sand and medium mud, and those materials are more uniform. They are also the bottoms you try to anchor over when it counts. I've done a lot of anchor testing, including rock and weeds, and you can't generate pretty data, graphs, or defensible comparisons for rock or weed because of the variability.

I've cruised in 3 boats. Two were light weight multihulls (less than 2000 pounds) and one was a cruising catamaran (9000 pounds). The first two used mostly rope and the latter mostly chain. Horses for courses. But the anchors were similar (much different size).

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome