SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Anchor for Weeds
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 09-18-2018
colemj

Re: Best Anchor for Weeds

A Bulwagga anchor is best in weeds. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

The only failure we have ever had with our Rocna was in thick kelp - and even then it took an intense 50kt thunderstorm to unset it. It came up with ~100lbs of weed ball on it and no mud, so it never made it down past the weed, but did dig into the thick weed enough to hold for 3 days of 15-25kt steady winds before letting go in a blast.

I have had spectacular failures with Danforths in weed, but have never used a Fortress in weed.

Our old Delta actually didn't do too badly in weed. It would always drag, but slowly and consistently. It never suddenly pulled out and let the boat go unexpectedly like the Rocna did. It was more of a calm "well, looks like we are dragging again - let's watch and see what happens" thing.

We could never get our old CQR to set in weed.

We could never get our old Bruce to hold in weed, although it always seemed to set.

I haven't tried our Spade in weed, but suspect it would act like the Rocna, only maybe bury a bit further due to lack of roll bar resistance.

The only thing I think an admiralty anchor is good for is desperately hooking rock or coral as a last gasp effort to hold still. I threw ours away.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome