SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
View Single Post
post #34 of Old 09-19-2018
Minnewaska

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would appreciate suggestions and criticisms regarding our approach......
Interesting read and I'm glad you are safe in the end. The biggest take away has to be your overwhelming desire to make this trip overriding your better judgement. You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters?

It reminds me of a book written by Ed Viesturs, No Shortcuts to the Top. Ed is a world class mountaineer (Everest 7 times) and his book is about how he's stayed safe in one of the most dangerous sports in the world. The bottom line is not simply knowing the right thing to do, it's whether you will do it in the moment. He tells of several hard safety rules that all climbers know and would insist upon, while jawing in base camp. However, when on the mountain, most that got hurt didn't follow the rules they knew, out of an overwhelming desire to get to the top.

Sounds like you learned this lesson. You must have the discipline to apply safety standards, not just know them. You tried to take a shortcut to the long ocean passage experience you wanted and looked past several safety requirements you knew very well, back on land. It will make you stronger for the next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome