SailNet Community - View Single Post - Meet the Mods
Thread: Meet the Mods
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 09-22-2018
Rezz
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: Meet the Mods

Morning, y'all!

Donna and Jeff let me know I should probably post something here. I'll give it my best shot, as I'm not one for words. Let me know if I should add something else here

I currently live in West Virginia, and have been here for nine years. Before that I spent ten years in Maryland near DC. I've lived all over the US, except the Pacific NW and New England. Honestly, this area is probably my favorite. We get four seasons, rolling hills, fall colors, and the Chesapeake, either in my backyard or a couple hours' drive away.

After spending four years working on an ambulance, I became a Critical Care nurse, and have now been one for ten years. Time flies! While this job affords some flexibility (I only work three days a week, sometimes four), I work every other weekend which gets in the way of sailing with my wife. She has a normal 9-5 job, and it's not unusual to have only three or four days off together during a month.

Speaking of sailing - this year is the first I've been able to get on the water with my own boat! But backing up about thirty years, when I was young my dad had a Catalina 22 near Houston. Some of my earliest memories were on that boat - my blue PFD, catching a catfish with my kid-size rod and reel, and being put below when the weather got rough. It was rough weather that convinced my mom to stop sailing - and I don't think she's been on a sailboat in three decades now. My dad still loves to sail, and my new (to me) boat has helped rekindle that love for him.

A very generous friend gave me a 1980 Laguna Windrose 22 on a trailer so I could get started sailing. I will be eternally grateful to him for giving my wife and me the freedom of time on the water, and the opportunity to learn about boat maintenance. This has been a bit of a "project boat" in a good way. From rewiring the mast, to replacing the ports, to fiberglass work, to leak hunting - I've enjoyed every minute of being contorted in various places in the boat. This year we've spent a few nights on the boat, on the Severn so far, and hopefully the Magothy later this week.

I wouldn't be sailing right now if it weren't for @chucklesR , who was kind enough to be a wonderful friend and teach me a lot about sailing. Now he's living my long-term goal of living aboard and traveling around the country (and farther?).

@Donna_F and John have been a pivotal influence as well. In 2016 we spent 10 days in the British Virgin Islands on a charter together, and the sailing bug bit hard. The trip opened my wife's eyes up to the experiences that can be had sailing. Now I don't need to convince her that this is a life we can live. We're planning our future to include a boat large enough to travel for months on end.

SailNet has been such a source of knowledge, information, and friendship. I'm looking forward to maintaining this wonderful place as a welcoming port for new sailors and old salts alike. Mostly, I've been a lurker, but I hope with more experience on the water that I will make meaningful contributions. Thanks for the opportunity to be your Mod!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome