SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1029 of Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Dave, the only reason I didn't move to the keys when I was in my early 30s was I wanted to retain my marital status. Yep, she would have divorced me!

Carol wants to be here with the children and grandson and step granddaughters (3), also her sister lives here as well. Me, I figured we would likely see them more often if we lived in the Keys, particularly during the winter months. Havn't seen her sister since her husband passed away last year, though she talks with her every week on the phone for an hour or so. My daughter comes over once a week, and during the summer months, we provide free baby sitting service for our grandson.

As for there being too many old people - I am one! Most of the old folks I know are and were pretty damned intelligent, not including myself, of course. They managed to get through their lives without too many health issues, most had very successful marriages, saved enough to enjoy a good retirement, and love to have fun and party, even with some of the younger folks like yourself. When I was there I encountered more young people than old codgers such as myself. The vast majority of the food service workers were in their late 20s to mid 30s. Same held true with those working in grocery stores, post office, library, Fisherman's Hospital, the local barber shop, hair salons and city offices. Kinda like it is here, but I think there is more old folks here than in the Florida Keys by a country mile.

Now, if you check the hurricane records, you will find that devastating hurricanes rarely hit the Florida Keys, they they do have them once in a while - just like everyplace else in the nation. The vast majority of hurricanes usually track south of the keys, then make a northward turn and slam into the gulf coast around the Florida Panhandle, Texas and Louisiana. The others usually slam into the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

The bugs in the keys are not nearly as bad as those found on Maryland's lower Eastern Shore. Sure, they have Palmetto Bugs, which resemble a winged cockroach the size of your thumb, but for the most part, they usually only come out just after sundown for about an hour, and they soon go away. Skeeters are not nearly as bad in Marathon as they are in Salisbury, Nanticoke, Point Lookout, Cape Charles, Oyster, etc..., and there are no greenheads in the Keys that I know of.

Humidity? Nope, you gotta have land mass in order to have humidity - damned little land mass in the lower keys. Unfortunately, I just pissed off some of my friends that reside in the keys year round because they keep telling me to keep this a secret so all those damned Yankees don't migrate south and jack up the real estate prices.

Final point, "Chesapeake Bay - sailing capitol of the world", a term that has been used in dozens of magazines dedicated to sailing. And, a term my old friend Angus Phillips frequently used in his Washington Post columns in the sports section many, many times. Angus and I worked together way back when I was a columnist for the Washington Post Weekend Section, a position I held for 16 years as a stringer (free lance writer).

Have a fun day, Dave,

Gary

Facts Gary facts,,,,,you can't just make the statements without supporting evidence and your facts are not the real facts

Florida is #1 with the geriatric set at 19'.06 %
Maryland is #42 at 13'76%
Huge difference

Average morning and afternoon SUMMER humidity
Florida 89. .....63
Maryland 84......53
Again a huge difference

Mosquitos per state-bugs...disease carrying bugs...
Florida #1
Maryland #32
Huge difference

The hurricane argument makes no sense. Florida Keys rival NC with damage

Florida Keys Hurricanes since 1935
1935- Great LaborDay Hurricane- wind 200mph ...lowest pressure recorded in Nirth America
1945-75 mph
1947- 150 mph
1948- 122 mph
1948- 160 mph
1950 -Hurricane King and Easy...minimal
1960- Hurricane Donna 155
1965- Hurricane Betsy- 125
1966- Hurricane Alma and hurricane Inez
1987 Floyd minimal
1992-Hurrican Andrew
1998- Hurricane Mitch- 104 Hurricane Georges
1999- Hurricane Urene
2005- Hurricane Wilma
Recently Irma

Maryland
Hazel
Isabella

I realize most of the time you have spent in Florida is non hurricane season and not in the summer and fall when he humidity peaks, the bugs swarm, he Hurricanes andvtropicao storms are frequent , even more with hear misses. It is a state of tourists and elderly. I love the Keys a lot, but it is what it is...the facts are there.

Family keeps you here....as it should...those are strong ties .....your grandkids will have fond mmotives if you. So you have reasons just like me to stay here. Enjoy your time here in the present...it's not so bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome