SailNet Community - View Single Post - Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 09-27-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thatís interesting. Canít you explain this more thoroughly? I know G4 is heat treated, which is different, but I wasnít aware of itís lack of applicability. Seems odd, as windlass are designed for it,
and everyone markets it as anchor chain.
G-4 is manufactured as a lifting chain, for cargo and heavy lifting, where weight per foot is of no consequence, but strength is. BBB anchor chain with it's shorter links and heavier weight per foot is the standard for anchor chain.
For some reason the yachting fraternity decided a stronger chain, though not actually strong enough to make any significant difference for most of our vessels should the chain come tight between the boat and anchor without a snub line, was better, though lighter per foot.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome