SailNet Community - View Single Post - Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 09-28-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaOnMaui View Post
BBB is much heavier in the Bow when talking about 250-300 feet,
I've very rarely found I needed more than 200 feet of chain. Probably the deepest I've ever had to anchor was at Cook's monument in Kealakekua Bay at around 150' but that's a very unique situation where you drop your anchor to 150' and back up to the monument until your pick hooks into the side of the crater almost directly below you.
200' gives you 3:1 scope in 65' of water in normal conditions, which is all you really need with a good anchor and an all chain rode.
I doubt you'll want or need to anchor in 60 feet of water or more in storm conditions, as you'd probably be in a pretty exposed position in that much water. I try to tuck into 30 feet or less for hurricanes and the like, giving me 6+:1 scope with 200' of chain on my #1, never mind the other 4 anchors and rode I would have out if conditions warranted.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome