SailNet Community - View Single Post - Casco Bay Area Mooring and/or slip Reccomendations
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter
HobieDogger

Casco Bay Area Mooring and/or slip Reccomendations

Hi All -

My wife and I just purchased our first 'big boat', a Pearson 31-2. It's a great boat and exactly what we have been looking for. We've previously sailed Hobie 16's for many years, and then finally a 21' trailer sailor the past five years. Last year we added a little girl to our family, and so we started to look for a boat that was easier to single, could stay in the water, and was more comfortable. We typically sailed our little trailer-sailor out of Bug Light in South Portland and would spend the night on the hook at an island (most often Jewell).

We'd love to continue sailing in that area for obvious reasons and are on the waitlist for most marinas...but want to keep the seasonal costs reasonable (sub $4k). An aquaintance lives aboard at Aspasia all summer and raves about it...plus they're really cheap at $2400 for a slip. Suspiciously cheap... Our acquaintance is a single guy who grew up on the water, and so his idea of comfort may not be inline with my young family's. Anyone have experience there? We'll drive up to check it out, but all feedback is welcome.

We like the cost of moorings, but in reality loading a 2 year old and wife and dog into a 10 or 12' dinghy doesn't seem prudent. So, a mooring area with a launch service is desirable. Anybody a member of centerboard yacht club? I know from launching at bug light that the river has a lot of action...so I imagine a night spent on a mooring there is pretty bumpy?

I think Falmouth is about as far northeast as we'd want to go. Anyone have experience with Handy Boat? There prices to rent a mooring and join the club are steep at $3200, but we'd likely only do that the first year and then buy our own mooring the next year after determining whether or not we like it.

Any feedback of points south (Cape Elizabeth? Scarborough?) would also be appreciated. Our plan is to peal out of work early most Friday nights, drive to the boat and spend the weekend on it, and then come back to reality late Sunday night. Rinse and repeat all summer. Ease of access and overnight comfort are paramount.

Many thanks in advance!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome