SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hypothetical Radar
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 10-22-2018
Minnewaska

Re: Hypothetical Radar

Does this race not permit you to run your engine in neutral to charge batteries. While you can't charge well at idle, even at ~1500 rpm, it's pretty fuel efficient and the alternator would probably keep up with everything aboard and then some.

At night, I like to run the radar overlay on the chartplotter chart screen. Especially, when viz is down. I've crossed the Gulf of Maine when I could see nav lights departing Europe. This past summer, we had vessels cross within a mile that we never saw. When on the Maine coast, we had one at 1/10th mile that we could hear, like we were standing aboard, and never saw it. Had to be a lobster boat doing 15 kts, we were under sail. We tried to avoid, but it kept turning randomly. Our best best was to standon and hope they saw us too. I'm sure they did. When we got close, their course changed to pass port to port. But close...... my wife and I were both on watch and at the ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome