SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hypothetical Radar
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 10-22-2018
Minnewaska

Re: Hypothetical Radar

My next house battery upgrade will be LiFePO. This newer technology does not explode, like older Lio batts could. The newer technology is not affected by water, like original Lithium batts. In fact, you can explode any lead acid battery, via rare overcharge or short faults, so I don't see this as a difference.

LiFePO are lighter, contain more Ahr capacity (per equiv size lead acid) and you can run them down to 20% of capacity, as opposed to the 50% floor on lead acid.

They also charge in a fraction of the time, significantly reducing generator time. They are also much less effected by partial charging.

Effectively, you get 2 times the useful capacity in the same footprint. The only downside I see is that they currently cost 3 times as much to buy. I expect that will compress. Of course, you'll need charging sources that have settings for this battery type. Mine does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome