SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1113 of Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Well that was fun...Had a great friend and very seasoned sailor race in the Baltimore Harbor Cup in his Melges 24. Ran into him on the docks after the race and maybe I had one too many beers because he talked me into sailing it back to Gibson Island yesterday. We had 4 on board and I can tell you that is the fastest I've ever dreamed of going on a sailboat. Wind was mostly directly out of the Patapsco so we made probably 6 gybes to get out of the river. Large rolling waves, steady 22-25 kts with some gusts we were figuring close to 38-40. At one point we hoisted the asymmetrical chute and had the boat going 25 kts planing. Brought the chute in and kept on booking it. Got knocked down twice as we sort of spun out on a couple of big waves just as a gust hit, but we were in control the whole time and the boat and crew were fine as it just sort of layed there for a bit and then popped back up and off we went again. Once we got around the corner and headed south the ride settled down and we were making 12-15 kts steady under jib and main alone. Dock to dock was just over two hours and 15 minutes. I honestly can't even imagine what the round the world sailors experience, especially at night. We were a little too busy coming out the Patapsco for videos, but here we are heading down the bay about halfway between the Bodkin Creek entrance and the mouth of the Magothy. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0wxvqjq8t...%20PM.mp4?dl=0
Glad you had fun. . A knockdown in an 8 ton plus Sailboat is another fish compared to a 24 Melges. I try not to put that kind of stress on Haleakula.

Saturday night and Sunday the ducks in our marina were quickly very loudly every time a huge gust came through. They sounded really close with their racket . I popped my head around the canvas and saw that 12 of them had taken protective residence in the water on the lee side of the boat. Smart quakers��������������������������

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome