SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1124 of Old 10-24-2018
TakeFive

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Did you get hit with the gusty winds? On the western side of the bay it was pretty blustery between 7:30 and 10:00 pm (and we were tied up in a slip.)
Things were totally placid in Engineers Cove last night. Sensors showed it was 2-8 kts with gusts to 10, but I think that inside the cove things were knocked down a lot. Inside my boat it was completely silent, with absolutely no rocking motion at all. I actually woke up this morning wondering "Where am I?" because there was no noise from the rigging, no water slapping, and no rocking. Just complete silence.

Once I entered the canal this morning there was a very gentle breeze with tiny ripples, but as soon as I entered the Delaware River water became confused and choppy. Things really picked up in the river around 9 am today, with boat heeling 15 on furled genoa alone. Sensors on the river showed 15 kt with gusts to 20. At the very end it was 20 kt sustained with gusts to 28 - a real struggle getting the boat tied up at the bulkhead.

I am so glad I left Rock Hall yesterday, with afternoon temps in the 60s and gentle breezes for the Bay portion of my trip (wind didn't pick up until I was already in Elk River). With today's wind and the mid-40s temps in the Delaware River, the only thing that made it tolerable was the lack of fetch. I would have been miserable on the eastern part of the Bay with all the fetch out of the NW.

The strong NW breezes blew all the water out of the river today, so I was unable to haul out. I'm hoping I can get hauled before I fly to Milwaukee on Sunday.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-27-2018 at 10:24 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome