SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1128 of Old 10-27-2018
TakeFive

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

With the approaching noreaster blowing water from the ocean into the Delaware Bay, we had a 7' high tide that allowed me to haul out "Breakin' Away" with ease yesterday. Normally my low water alarm goes crazy when pulling into the slings, but it was perfectly silent this time.

With fall weather so disappointing, I felt a great sense of relief getting her onto land for the winter. The two day trip up the Elk River, C&D Canal, and Delaware River is a bit of a pain (though with a little joy to go along with it), and sweating out whether the water will come up enough to allow me to get to the slings is an annoyance.

This year I looked around extensively for other places to haul out closer to Rock Hall, and found prices that were pretty attractive, but still higher than what I pay currently (it would be impossible to match my current $408 deal), but I ultimately decided it was not about money. I really like having the boat 12 minutes from my home all winter. I can easily go down there and work on things for a couple hours without blowing a whole day. I can go knock snow off the boat whenever needed. My winterization routine takes multiple trips with antifreeze, whole boat cover, etc., and would take a huge amount of time to complete if I had to drive 1-2 hours each way to the boat. So for the time being, I'll continue to deal with the boat club politics (which I've gotten pretty good at - just treat the right people to drinks) and sweating the tides, and storing/hauling my own boat stands back and forth from my house. Having the boat so close to home allows me to enjoy it in a different way during the winter.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome