SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1129 of Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

There are a lot of different ways to look at winterization and the possible end of a sailing season.

We only pull out every 3-4 years thus saving a lot of money on costs for winter storage. We lease our slip on a yearly basis.

So wether itís $408 or $20 a ft like most places itís a fee we donít pay.

We donít have to worry about the boat taking extra stress vibrating on 8 jack strands to dissipate wind energy as the mast hums. In the water that energy is transferred into the water with the boat gently rolling. If you think thatís a minor point go down
and sit in your cabin while on land in 20 knot winds.

We never have to worry about boats blocking us in in as we hear others complain about every year, club politics or kissing ass in order to begin sailing in the spring.

Our 45 minute drive to the boat is not far. We make a day of it, or a weekend even during prep time. We keep Haleakula area where there are things to do year round.

First and foremost is her safety. We have no open fetch or worries from weather usually. To us thatís the primary consideration of a marina.

Rock in your case I keep hearing you commenting ands commiserating on the poor fall sailing season. That may be a personal thing limited by your new job, puppy, commitments which limited weekends for to go and then those weekends had less than stellar weather. I found our fall sailing season on of the best in the last 10 years with lots of wind and great weekends. We just returned from a 10 day sailing trip which saw great sailing conditions . I guess itís in each persons perspective. If sailing is your priority then you find a way to go. If itís not...you donít. Understand I am not criticizing each or your priorities, just that I donít think the weather is to blame if you sailed less this fall. We all have different thresholds.

Certainly the wetter than usual weather, the debris from Conowingo openings, and the potential hurricane Mathew created some obstacles , but they were only mi or ones in this area. We lucked out as opposed to NC.

To those throwing in the towel in early October for whatever reason, I hope you had a good season. Many on the LI Sound have a similar shortened season. Make your project list and work on them so as soon as you get in winterized in the spring you can get to it.

For those like us who have at least another month to 6 weeks to enjoy bonus sailing and enjoyment of the beautiful Chesapeake which will be uncrowded and good winds. We will also have projects to work on

For those who keep sailing all through the winter. I admire your spirit as you enjoy different challenges in all weather sailing. Like Gary, I think my age precludes my well being to sail when the temp outside reaches below 40 during sunlight hours.

So who is staying in???????

For those who continue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-27-2018 at 02:36 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome