SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1130 of Old 10-27-2018
TakeFive

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Dave, we discuss whether to leave the boat in every year. So far, no interest in that. Maybe next year.

I agree that having the boat in the water allows for better damping of vibration and absorption of energy through heeling. I was especially aware of it earlier today when I was on the boat relaxing while 40 kt gusts were coming through. In the end, there are risks of all sorts to having a boat anywhere during winter season in this region (or during summer in tropical areas). Insurance actuaries are in agreement that the balance of all types of risks adds up to less risk while on the hard. But bottom line, everyone should keep their boat where they can best enjoy it and/or maintain it. During the winter months for us, that location is where it is now, though we will reassess every year.

When I say that this fall's sailing weather has been disappointing, I do not consider that commiserating. I see that as statement of obvious fact. Like the rest of us, you were completely unable to sail last Sunday or today. That's a big chunk of prime weekend sailing time. It's a bit of a statistical fluke, since that weather could have just as easily come on a weekday when we wouldn't be sailing anyway. But calling it disappointing is an appropriately measured description - not being overly pessimistic at all.

You draw the line for enjoyable sailing at 40F, and that's great. We draw our line at more like 55F (though we'd be fine sailing for a couple hours down to 45F in the early morning). With an enclosed cockpit that would be different, but that's not our current situation.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome