SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter
Minnesail

Re: Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I can relate to that story in the link. We bounced off the bottom leaving Arcadia (in maybe 3' swells) in August. We were heading to Portage Lake. We called ahead to a place in Lake Portage, and were told the channel had been recently dredged. No doubt due to this incident. Michigan had a reputation for really taking care of their harbors. Times change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
It is really quite sad, but the Michigan DEQ has seen budget cuts, like every other department in Michigan. Small, lightly used harbors don't get much attention as the demand to keep them open is lower than a busier harbor. A couple of years ago, the Leland harbor entrance on Big Traverse Bay was so bad you could at one point walk on dry sand across the entrance, it was essentially closed. It did not help water levels were very low at the time. They did their own fundraising and raised enough funds to buy their own dredger and dredged it themselves. Now they offer the dredger for rent to other harbors and marinas..
I’m not sure if my charts are the latest, but for Arcadia I see 7’ from July of 2012, for Portage Point I see 7’ from May of 2013.

Wow, if I drew 6’ that’d be a real nervous drive in.

I suppose if there’s no commercial traffic there’s not much impetuous for the government to dredge things.

In other news, I just realized that Michigan is in Eastern time so I’ll lose an hour. That’s one less hour of sleep tonight… Tomorrow is going to suck, but Sunday and Monday will be nice. A leisurely drive up 31 through Petoskey and over the Mackinac Bridge, then down through the UP and northern Wisconsin. Of course it’ll be raining the whole time. Oh well.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome