SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crazy first time out on my sailboat today
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter
MikePNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ok you don’t get it.....as evidenced by making excuses for what you did.
You did something very unsafe.

The CAPTAIN is the one who is responsible. Period
Your decisions MUST always be made with safety in mind first. You failed to do that and were pressured by another person to take guests on an unproven to you boat you had never previously tested. You should have said no.

So what is was a lake .
so what it was calm.
So what it was good weather

You took out an untested boat you don’t know well with passengers and endangered everyone. Had someone gotten hurt or injured in this escapade who do you think would be held liable?
YOU WOULD

Thankfully nothing really happened. You get a second chance. If you don’t correct this poor judgement decision starting by owning it , you will repeat. The water is not forgiving, not prejudiced and should be respected. If not your life....than others.

Sorry to be so blunt....b
And this is why I love internet forums.

I understand the responsibility of being a CAPTAIN.

I was not making excuses, I was giving reasons for my judgement call.

The "lake" I was on has a depth of 7-12 feet maximum. The weather was beyond calm. I wasn't sure we would have wind to sail. Temps were in the 70's.

Nobody was at risk of losing their life. At max a 100 yard swim to the shoreline would have been required. I had more than enough life jackets for everyone, throwable float cushions, flares, air horns, whistles, and capable swimmers and a certified lifeguard on board.

The worst case scenario involved everyone getting wet and me having to pay to have my boat retrieved from the lake bed.

I own my judgement call. I was going to go out solo if my friend wasn't available.

It's a 19 foot boat on a tiny, calm, still body of water on the day I was going out.

To everyone with the helpful comments thank you.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome