SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crazy first time out on my sailboat today
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 11-04-2018 Thread Starter
MikePNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMarks View Post
......I am wondering what the two holes are that the water is draining from in the first pictures you posted of the boat sitting on the trailer.
As I understand the OP, these were the cockpit scuppers. Is that right?

This would mean that water completely filled the cabin, came up on the cockpit floor and only the cockpit drained out.

That seems odd, not to mention extreme.

Do these scuppers have hoses that lead from the cockpit to the hull? Some do, some are molded in. Looks like the outlet is below the water line, so it too is suspect to have actually caused the leak.

A 1" hole that is 2ft below the surface will flow at the rate of 28 gallons per minute. Obviously, the OP's leak was much smaller or shallower, as they would have never been out for the half hour they describe, with any easily noticeable hole.
I believe you are correct. Those scuppers lead to holes just below the waterline. To access the back side they are behind a wood panel that blocks the fore side of the lazarettes. There is no reason to have below water through hull fittings on this boat.

There was no water at my feet in the cockpit. Obviously there is a break in those hoses. When the boat was on the trailer it wasn't forward and tilted aft having the water pour out. Once the boat was level those holes were much higher than the water level in the cabin.

I will be plugging those holes and the sink drain.

Thanks

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome