SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 11-06-2018 Thread Starter
Minnesail

Re: Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
You will lose an hour driving to Michigan, yes, but we give it back to you as a good will gesture when you head home. In fact I will throw in an extra hour overnight due to daylight savings time change tonite..

I hope that the channel is deeper than that. Portage Point has plans to expand their marina to a full service facility, they will need better than 7' to have that. Personally I plan on sailing up there in the future to pick up my daughter from camp, and then to keep cruising with her for another week or so...I draw 6'6..so there is that.
It was extremely off-season. I think only two or three rooms at the resort were occupied Saturday night. The resort is really nice, I would definitely go back. Apparently itís a sister hotel to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. There is an abandoned portion of the hotel that they say is haunted. The bar was open with a limited menu, and it was mostly locals.

As it turned out, I sat next a dredging barge operator! He had worked on the channel. Itís newly dredged, last summer I think he said. You shouldnít have any trouble getting in.

It seemed everybody in Onekama knew the story of the sinking of the Barracuda in 2007. Apparently the boat was pulled off, then tried to enter the channel a second time and ran aground again. The wave action broke the keel off the boat and it went down. The dredging operator said his grandfather watched the mast swing side to side, and finally go over. He even had a picture on his phone of the little tug that pulled the boat off the first time.

And sitting on the other side of me was a woman who had a 100 ton masters license and ran a tall ship in the Caribbean. It was a pretty interesting group.

There was a high wind warning on the Mackinac Bridge and the electronic billboard said vehicles with trailers were limited to 20mph, so I just crawled over the bridge and it was fine.

The drive through the UP was nice and scenic. I was completely baffled by the 20-pound sacks of sugar beets and carrots for sale at all the gas stations. It turns out theyíre for hunters, to bait the deer.

1400 mile round trip, 135 gallons of gas, and entire seasons of Serial, Criminal, A Very Fatal Murder, and other podcasts later Iím back in Minneapolis. Whirlwind weekend.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome