SailNet Community - View Single Post - I bought a new boat!
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-09-2018 Thread Starter
mstern

I bought a new boat!

I did it! I bought a new (to me) boat. A 1991 Catalina 28. I've been thinking of upgrading for a few years now, but I've been holding off for one reason or another (I couldn't decide what kind of boat I wanted, my wife didn't really want to cruise, I didn't want to spend the money, yada yada yada).

Last year, I decided that the Catalina 28 was a boat I really liked and wanted; it checked off all the boxes for me: big enough to be comfortable for a weekend (or longer) cruise, small enough to easily single-hand; walk-through transom. So I started looking out for available examples on Yachtworld and Sailboatlistings. But everything that came up was too far for me to casually go take a look, and/or it was about twice what I wanted to spend.

Then, a few weeks ago, one popped up on Sailboatlistings, located not 45 minutes from my house. The photos showed a very clean, well maintained boat. And the asking price was very reasonable. So I went to see her and lo and behold, the photos were accurate, the owner was a good guy, and I left there thinking, "why not?" The clincher was when my father, a notably frugal man, said to me "if not now, when?" I made an offer, we dickered a bit, then agreed on a price. We had the survey today: no major problems except the engine needed a new water pump, which we negotiated back into the price.

I cannot wait for the spring.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome