SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pounding on a Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #39 of Old 11-13-2018
SV Siren
1968 Columbia 50

Re: Pounding on a Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
I've owned our 423 for 3 years now and sailed it up and down the Chesapeake Bay. At the mouth of the Potomac in about 30+ kts of wind we were seeing 4ft+ waves with a short period and the boat sailed beautifully, better than any other I've sailed. It is also an amazingly strong boat with stiffeners throughout and fiberglass that is solid. I can't imagine "oil canning", the effect of bending a plate and it "popping" back (with a loud sound) to its original shape when the load is released, ever occurring on this hull. It is a great boat and Beneteau did a great job designing it. Hearsay is not a design criteria, but if it can be proven I'd love the data be posted so all can know. Until then, it sounds like nonsense to this kid.
Do you realize that this thread is just about 10 yrs old and the poster you are referring to who made the oil canning statement hasn't logged in for over 6 years...

Just saying this as you might not get the reply you are hoping for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome