SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is this thing below the tiller?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 12-01-2018
Jeff_H's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Annapolis, Md
Posts: 8,863
Thanks: 43
Thanked 439 Times in 369 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Re: What is this thing below the tiller?

Given the geometry of the shaft, that appears to be a way to turn the trim tab with the shaft passing diagonally through the rudder itself. I have seen that type of thing before but usually the tiller for the trim tab is much shorter and set up so it could be tied into a windvane. You would normally expect to see small turning blocks on either side of the trim tab tiller that would have been led to the vane, but there is no sign of that hardware.

I have also seen trim tabs set up so that they balance weather helm, but those usually have a small quadrant mounted below the tiller that allows a fixed setting.

In any event, that boat needs a new tiller badly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Jeff_H is online now  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome