SailNet Community - View Single Post - What does "too old to sail mean"?
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 12-03-2018 Thread Starter
SanderO

Re: What does "too old to sail mean"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
This thread has alot in common with "size for singlehandling"

As we age I wonder how a bigger boat plays into the equation of calling it quits?
Smaller boats usually are not set up with powered mechanical stuff. For "able bodied" sailors smaller is easier to handle and forces are less. As you get a bigger boat you'll be needing more mechanical assists... But someone pointed out what to do when you have a mechanical failure...

There's probably a size which it makes sense to add the mechanical assists AND in a pinch when there is a failure.... a resourceful sailor will manage. And these sorts of things can be added over time. My boat came with nylon rode and no windlass. I added a hand operated SL windlass and then changed to an electric with all chain. Same boat... anchoring is easier and more secure and requires no brute strength. Same with Millie. She raises the big main. I could use the winches for more of the hoist not just the end... But the days of hauling most of the 440SF main up most of the way by hand/brute strength is now past. I sail the same boat and sail plan. Same for the roller furler... boat came with hank on sails These sorts of things allow those without lots of strength to sail what used to require more fit sailors.

I think old salt sweet spot for size is between 30' and 40'.. YMMV

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome