SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Wind Turbine
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 12-05-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Cheap Wind Turbine

At that price, I'd wager you'd be the most hated person in any anchorage or marina within a year. We had a cheapie anchored near us (not quite next to us) a few days back and we could hardly converse without shouting in our own cockpit because that boat's windgen made such a racket. I don't know if it was the blades or bearings, but it was awful.
Occasionally, we get invited aboard a boat, and they must shut off the windgen so we can converse in the cockpit. I've met a few folks who have noisy windgens who joke that they can tell the wind speed from the noise their windgen makes and one woman who thought the racket her windgen made was really 'neat' because when it was making all that noise, it was producing green power. I gently reminded her that now, instead of emissions pollution, she was making noise pollution. She did not think that at all funny.
I spent the better part of 2 years checking out windgens before I dropped my dime. No way I wanted to be a noise polluter!
But do consider that a windgen will probably average something in the range of a quarter to a third of an amp per hour, overall. Not worth the investment or noise unless you really need a few extra amps of charging at night.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome