SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Wind Turbine
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 12-07-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Cheap Wind Turbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
If wind generators are loud because of the bearings, I can see how expensive ones could be better. However, if it is just the blades, why couldn't a cheapo just copy the blade profile of a quiet windgen?
Cheap equals cheap and you generally get what you pay for but if you add the saltwater environment to the equation, you end up paying a lot more for the cheap stuff.
I could have bought 4 AirX windgens for about what I paid for my Rutland, expecting to get perhaps a year of reliable service from the AirX. So that means every year someone has to go aloft to change it out, never mind storing one aboard in case it fails prematurely. It also means at least twice the shipping if you order two at a time. I certainly am not going to try to save some money up front, only have it cost me much more time, work and money, in the end.
Cheap units have inferior wiring, inferior parts and inferior coatings, not just poorly designed blades. A few get lucky, but most who go for the cheap windgens are not especially popular in the anchorages. So, I guess it is a case, once again, of 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya,....?'

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome