SailNet Community - View Single Post - GGR entrants getting clobbered
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 12-07-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Right, thatís what happens without a drogue, but with one, the waves should be moving underneath, no? I now realize she lost her drogue before the pitch pole, which makes more sense. Iím not sure that damns a drogue as ineffective, altogether. Was chafe the cause?
No, when running in those conditions I've found a drogue slows you down to the point that the waves occasionally crash directly onto the boat! I have found that to be an absolutely terrifying experience. So much so that after a few of these, I cut the drogue free and took over the job of steering myself. Can you even imagine a 50 foot wave crashing on the aft 1/3rd of your boat? Isn't your boat an aft cockpit boat?
I doubt Susie, a very experienced ocean sailor, would allow chafe to happen. She wasn't in any way incapacitated or injured before the pitchpole.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome