SailNet Community - View Single Post - GGR entrants getting clobbered
View Single Post
post #40 of Old 12-07-2018
Minnewaska

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
....Can you even imagine a 50 foot wave crashing on the aft 1/3rd of your boat? Isn't your boat an aft cockpit boat?....
50 ft? How often does that occur. When it does, I don't really care where one's cockpit is located, nor which direction the break comes from. You're in trouble.

On a more rational basis, I get your point that a drogue and following wave set isn't perfect, nor is a sea anchor facing into them. Nor is having the personal ability to hand steer through them in all cases. It is what is it.......a survival storm and the skipper is only moderately in control of the outcome.

Quote:
I doubt Susie, a very experienced ocean sailor, would allow chafe to happen. She wasn't in any way incapacitated or injured before the pitchpole.
While I know her pedigree, I doubt even she would be willing to say she was immune to chafe. Do we know how it parted?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome