SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suicide at Sea and captain charged
View Single Post
post #100 of Old 12-15-2018
Minnewaska

Re: Suicide at Sea and captain charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
And you don't have to believe me. I had the same assumptions you did, but they're not true. Here's a report by some search and rescue experts:

{snip}

http://journalofsar.com/wp-content/u...ach-Bottom.pdf
I take it you feel the need to defend this Captain to some degree. Your linked article is flawed in this discussion for one major reason and several ancillary ones. First, it assumes the victim has already drowned (ie, air expelled from lungs) which there is absolutely no way the Captain could have known. Secondly, it is filled with theoretical variables the author fully disclaims are not directly related to real situations.

Quote:
Timed experiments were done by the authors in a swimming pool where one of the authors swam to about a six foot depth, expelled air, became negatively buoyant and sank to the bottom of the pool. The results of these simulations were used to check if the calculated results were close to the experimental results.

As with any mathematical model there are serious differences between the model and what actually occurs in a real situation.
The bottom line is, the Captain could not have known his crew member would not have surfaced and failing to make any effort at recovery will be culpable. While it is possible the body would never have surfaced, it's also possible it would have. I don't believe there is any rational way to dispute that. I doubt a recovery would have been successful, based on statistics, but there is no way he's keeping his ticket with the kind of decision making that eliminated any effort to try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome