SailNet Community - View Single Post - Meet the Mods
Thread: Meet the Mods
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 12-29-2018
MarkofSeaLife

Dock
Re: Meet the Mods

Being Australian we know 2 things: Drinking and the water.

I was born in Adelaide, South Australia. In my room I could hear the waves breaking on the beach outside.
In Sydney at 12 we hit the harbour in my Dads Endeavour 26. We raced Saturdays in the big boat, Sundays in the club Moth skiffs and Fridays nights in the beer can social, all year round. 16 or 17 in another boat we were 2nd in the IOR Ton Worlds, 3 crew, me on the foredeck. Then it was offshore doing everything up and down the Australian east coast where the waves are big and we learned to heave over the side while changing sails in storms at night.
Bit of a gap as work reality hit until 1993 sabbatical saw Turkey for a few months instructing a German guy how to sail and cruise.
1998 raced from Ashkelon, Israel through the Mediterranean, Palma, Lisbon, Canaries. Raced as Mate of a Swan 651 from Canaries to Brazil and Argentina.

Then went back to work till I chucked it in early 2008 few to the Caribbean bought an ex-Sunsail Beneteau 393

Sea Life in London 2019

From 2008 a west-about circumnavigation via Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, Australia, Asia, Red Sea, Med, Atlantic back to Caribbean. Solo from Nice, France.
Last few years have been sliding between the Caribbean and the USA 3 times including 3 whole summers in New York, plus land travel including riding a bicycle 1000 miles/1,700 kms through the middle of the USA.
May 2017 headed to Europe last 2 winters in London and Summer in France, Belgium and Netherlands. Next summer, who knows?

My philosophy on life is to only do things that I enjoy and in a way I enjoy them.
Philosophy for sailing is to Go Now, Fix Later. To always have the boat ready to weigh anchor at 5 minutes notice to be offshore for at least a week. To do that the boat is always fully fuelled, provisioned (hard rations), water loaded, kit working.
Philosophy for Forums: By writing stuff down I reinforce it on my own mind. A forum needs to be super comfortable for people to say what they like honestly and in good humor and not to be hassled by those who do so without good faith.

As a new moderator here I am open to anyones thoughts or problems: If you are not enjoying it please sneak me a message and I will see if I can help.

P.S. Also tell me if I get grumpy. Life is about fun.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-29-2018 at 09:12 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome