SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rigging spinnaker sheave
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 12-29-2018
SchockT

Re: Rigging spinnaker sheave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
I've seen that one owner of the same model boat as ours bolted a plate to the mast head then added a couple of blocks at the end of the plate for the flying the spinnaker and sock. I'm guessing that was done so the spinnaker halyard is out front of the forestay which should avoid chaffing. I'm not to fond of drilling holes in the boat so what I'm thinking is to epoxy an aluminum plate on top of the mast head. Then add a block or two at the end of the plate for the halyard. Of course the paint of the top of the mast head would be removed, metal roughed up then JB Weld mixed and applied. Then paint it.

Is this a good plan? Maybe I'm overly concerned about chaffing and this modification is not needed? The boat does have two jib halyards available.

Regards

Jer
I think you over estimate the strength of JB Weld! That is absolutely the wrong application for that stuff. The loads on a spinnaker halyard can be pretty high. If the epoxies area proves too weak you will have a mess on your hands.

Why are you afraid to bolt anything to your mast? Bolting a block is not going to compromise the strength of the mast at all, but will give you a spin halyard you can have confidence in.

If you are not confident drilling and tapping your mast, perhaps you should enlist your local rigger to help.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome