Thread: Discovery 55
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 12-30-2018
MarkofSeaLife

Dock
Re: Discovery 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Purchase a "serious" yacht for the first time can be a real catch22. For someone with no serious experience about sailing,

. two helms are just no advantage and actually a disadvantage.
I don't spose Im allowed to say stuff anymore like: "What a load of Piffle! Carbunkham and Codswallop!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

For a start, the OP (who hasnt been on the forum since January 12 months ago) is not a learner sailor: "Coming out of a 38 footer that I frequently solo sailed." Jumping from a 38 to a 55 is no huge leap at all. In fact I am thinking...

Dual wheels, to me, are a dream come true for a cruising boat. Suddenly its a party cockpit like a catamaran, and easy at sea to get behind the wheel safely.
In port when stern to the dock my wheel is off and tied to the lifelines. But be careful, I did this once in Malaysia and when finally pulling out of the dock I tossed the lines, put the engine in forward, started to move forward... before I saw I had no steering wheel. It was firmly cable tied to the lifelines and I was heading towards an expensive boat...

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome