SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Crewing
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 01-03-2019
outbound

Re: First Time Crewing

As part of vetting potential crew I include
Medical history , current meds, allergies
Food likes/dislikes allergies
Then the usual about sailing, mechanical, electrical, electronics, comm, medical experience and training.
If crewing I believe you can tell a lot by how you are vetted. Iíve refused crewing if I thought the captain was too cavalier in vetting me.
Given Iíve needed to leave people on the dock when upon arrival what they presented when applying wasnít congruent to my impression when they arrived be brutally honest in your interactions with the captain. Iíve taken to preferering a brief daysail with a newbie before signing them on. Once I took a prospective crew out in 2-3m with low to mid twenties. Fortunately he was honest. He told me he had sailed from Florida to Maine and had been in weather. When he understood that the conditions of the daysail could be expected on passage he demurred. I watched him. He was slow and clearly paralyzed by his fear so I wouldnít have signed him on anyway.
Not mentioned is having knowledge of the other crew beyond the captain. I ask permission then share everyoneís contact information. I usually sail with three but like to take on a newbie as a fourth when feasible. Think it furthers the sport and have an obligation to the next generation. Still, I want my crew to be comfortable that the crew includes multiple skilled experience people which increases the safety and learning possibilities for all.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome