SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #41 of Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update, 1/3/19.

I've spent the last couple of days pulling parts in preparation for the motor removal tomorrow morning.

Removed: Batteries, inverter, inverter control panel, transmission and throttle linkage, exhaust system, motor cockpit panel, including all gauges, alternator, all motor hoses and fuel lines.

Going tomorrow - motor, diesel tank, any remaining parts pertaining to the motor that I may have missed.

Staying - water heater, engine raw water intake and filter. The water heater will still work, but will run either with the inverter or when on shore power. I don't think I've ever used it before.

Changes to design - since all electrical systems converge in the starboard aft rear compartment, I'm going to place the bulk of the new systems in the two aft compartments. The starter cables are thicker than I expected, rated 00, so they can carry all the current I need to the motor controller, which will still be in the engine compartment. This will greatly simplify the wiring changes for the new system.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome