View Single Post
post #30 of Old 01-05-2019
Minnewaska

Re: First Time Crewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned, crew can pay their proportion of variable costs, without violating commercial requirements for the Captain and vessel.

I'm more familiar with the same provision in aviation, where proportionate cost sharing is also allowed. These cost must include only fuel and fees for the trip. You can't charge a portion of your hangar or insurance, for example. The real key in aviation is that everyone aboard has to have been planning the exact same trip for the exact same purpose. IOW, the pilot can't agree to fly someone to their destination for their proportionate cost of the fuel. He has to have intended to be going there anyway.

There is another compensation concept that one might be weary over. The notion that one is receiving experience alone is considered compensation by the FAA. One is not allowed to accept that compensation, without a commercial license, which is more the burden of one's crew in the OPs case. I'm not sure how the USCG sees this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome