SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Venture 17 keel repair question Another Venture 17 keel repair thread
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter
Vssman

Another Venture 17 keel repair question

Hello fellow sailors! I have a 'new to me' 1972 Venture 17. After a good look at the keel, I need to repair some significant cracks in the fiberglass. It looks like the keel roller on the trailer was a bit low allowing the axle to hit the keel starting the damage. From what I've read, it appears the keel has several pieces of steel welded to a center steel section. Question: is there wood laminated in front (leading edge when the keel is swung down) of the steel? I have read Fix it and Sail along with several on line tutorials as well as West Systems fiberglass boat repair and epoxy data sheets. My thoughts are to keep the keel on edge like it sits under the boat (flipped over actually) to help keep any bow from setting in. Ideally, I'd like to scarf in below the section that enters the keel pocket as it fits well and looks to be in good condition there. Any advice, thoughts, or comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.14 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by Vssman; 01-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome