SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #142 of Old 01-17-2019
boatsurgeon

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I don't know why he's selling it so cheap. The motive components alone are worth far more than 10k. I doubt you could buy all that for less than 25K.
Here are 5 reasons I can think of off the top of my head (not in any particular order):

1. Most individuals purchasing a boat want either a cheap project boat (low cost, least work possible) or a sail-away (higher cost, but no work). Best guess is this project boat will be high cost and tons of work.

2. Very few potential buyers will have the technical know how and skills to carry it through properly and safely.

3. All parts depreciate significantly the instant one takes them out of the box, again with ownership transfer (lost warranties) and then the depreciation rate tails off with time, based on the ALE (Average Life Expectancy).

4. While every individual part may actually last longer or shorter than ALE, depreciation is typically based on the average. Any life beyond that is borrowed time, and expensive repair or replacement may well be required soon.

Typical Estimates:
Hull - 30 years
Diesel Motor - 25 years
Electrical Wiring - 15 years
Electric Motor - 10 years (in salt water environment)
Electronics - 10 years
Sails - 20 years (cruiser), 10 years (avid sailor) 5 years (active PHRF club racer), 2 years (interclub trophy winner).

5. High risk - There is no guarantee the design will ever work satisfactorily.

Hope this helps.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome