SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #149 of Old 01-18-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update, 1/18/19

Khaleesea is out of the water. Looks like the barnacles took a toll on her paint. No blistering though. I'm going to leave her on the hard for the next 3 months to let her dry out.

Picked up the new prop today. After measuring the available space, I'm going with a 15x17x3 prop to replace the old 15x12x2, which is in less than stellar shape. I've brought it home for a bit of polishing and a shot of zinc galvanizing compound. I bought it used, because I'm a cheap bastard. Don, the prop guy, has been incredibly patient with me and my extremely limited knowledge of props. He's a real craftsman, and was kind enough to lend me his prop puller so I could yank the old prop today.

I would have loved to try for a bigger prop, but unfortunately the 15" stock prop was already the absolute max diameter available for the space. It would take a serious amount of hull construction to go with a bigger prop, which isn't worth it.

This sets my gear ratio at 2:1, so no whacky custom parts will be necessary.

Unfortunately, the BMS is turning into a thornier problem than I had anticipated. Looks like I might have to go with an off-the-shelf BMS and see if I can adapt it to my needs. I didn't even know they existed, but fortunately, they do. Looks like I'll need a few more boat bux to finish this project. Good thing I didn't set a hard budget for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg khaleesea new prop.JPG (54.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Khaleesea old prop.JPG (96.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg khaleesea hull.JPG (122.2 KB, 8 views)
Captain Canuck is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome