SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drifting with the current.
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 02-01-2019
blowinstink
Call me Ishmael

Re: Drifting with the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have no personal experience with the NP gyre, thankfully, but having made the sail from Hawaii to SF twice, I have successfully gone around it. Even back then, it was reputed to have a lot of garbage in it, and there were tales of a few who were stuck without wind and couldn't power for some days because of the garbage.
In my numerous voyages through the Med in the '70s and '80s, I encountered literal 'rivers' of plastic bags. I called the Med southern Europe's garbage can.
This stuff isn't new, it is just getting worse. Lately, however, I have noticed a drastic reduction in the number of stores and markets down here that put their sales in plastic bags; you must have your own or buy the plastic ones at an unreasonably high cost. Some of the take out places have switched from styrofoam containers to cardboard.
So, while the first world talks, some of the third world countries are actually doing something! Good on them.
Buenos Aires Argentina is among those who don't permit free or single use plastic bags. Makes quite a difference and is eminently "do-able". #BanTheBag!

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome